OCC Waterfront Campus - Mariner Continuing Education offers several options for students interested in preparing for their exams in person.
This course provides an intensive curriculum designed to review and reinforce the skills and knowledge needed to obtain a USCG license. Course subjects will include general seamanship, navigation rules, coastal piloting and plotting, weather, tides and currents, use of reference publications, deck operations and safety. Assistance towing is always included as part of our license training. Sailing endorsement option.
A student learning plan and previous boating experience should be discussed with Course Coordinator prior to registration. Coastal Navigation 1, Coastal Navigation 2, Rules of the Road
are strongly recommended before enrolling in the course or sitting for the exams.
A registration appointment is required with the Course Coordinator to register and early registration is advised. To make an appointment contact the Professional Mariner Training Center at 949-205-7352 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• OCC Waterfront Campus - USCG License Prep Course Workbook
• Rules of the Road Text
• Charlie Wing – Get Your Captains License Text
• Long Island Sound - Eastern Part Chart - 12354TR
• Block Island Sound Chart - 13205TR
• Chesapeake Bay Chart - 12221TR
• Martha’s Vineyard to Block Island Sound Chart - 1210TR
Available in the classroom:
• Coast Pilot
• Tidal Current Tables
• Tide Tables
• Light List
Course material costs are included at time of registration and are non-refundable. If you would like to purchase chart plotting tools, they can be acquired through our Lazarette bookstore. USCG application fees and other expenses are not included in course price. A $100 non-refundable deposit is included in the course fee for registration and a $75 non-refundable fee for materials.
1. Documented Sea time - A minimum of 360 underway days as paid or volunteer skipper or crew for Master Inland/Mate Near Coastal and OUPV (720 days for Master Near Coastal).
2. TWIC Card
3. Proof of US Citizenship
4. Current First Aid and CPR certification. See the USCG website for recognized cards or sign up for our Red Cross course.
5. A physical exam and a drug screen (details provided at registration)
** First Aid & CPR certification, physical & drug screening, U.S. Coast Guard TWIC Card and application fees are not included in this course cost.